How To Determine Whether Your HVAC Is Energy Efficient?

Lifetime'z Heating & Air Conditioning > Blog > How To Determine Whether Your HVAC Is Energy Efficient?

During both hot and cold seasons, you’ll want your heating and cooling system to operate in top condition. It is, therefore, advisable to determine if your HVAC is energy efficient and operating correctly. 

This way, you can ensure that your air conditioner and furnace are adequately maintained, operating correctly, and in excellent shape to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. If you require assistance, contact Lifetime’z Heating & Air Conditioning, specializing in Carrollton heating and air.

How do you determine whether your furnace or heater is efficient in energy consumption?

  • Check The SEER Rating

A SEER rating is used to evaluate the energy efficiency used by your air conditioning. It’s the percentage of your AC’s output in cooling during a typical cooling season multiplied by how much energy is used in Watt-Hours. 

The SEER rating is found in the manual of your AC’s user and on the device itself. Modern air conditioners usually have SEER ratings between 13 to 22 (the minimum rating for the Southern US is 14). If you own the older AC unit, it could range from 8.9 or 9.9. The higher the score is, the more efficient the system will be.

  • Check The AFUE Rating

An AFUE rating is used to evaluate how efficient furnaces are and is the percentage of the furnace’s total annual energy output concerning the total fossil fuel energy consumed. For instance, having an AFUE of 90 percent implies that 90 percent of the fuel used heats your home, while the remaining 10% is used in heat production. 

The minimum level required of new furnaces should be 78 percent. An AFUE rating at or above 90% is considered highly efficient and will help you save money over time.

  • Look For The Energy Star Certification

The Energy Star program helps consumers find products that can help save money and safeguard the environment with the highest efficiency in energy use. To meet the Energy Star requirements, the AC must have at least 14.5 SEER, gas furnaces should have a minimum AFUE of 90%, and oil furnaces should have at or above 85 percent. 

According to our experts for water heater repair Carrollton TX, HVAC units marked with the Energy Star label could reduce energy consumption by 20 percent or more of your energy costs.

  • Watch For Signs Of Inefficiency

Another way to tell whether your current heating and air system is energy efficient is by using your own experiences. If you have excessive energy bills, notice an increase in humidity in the home, or experience cold or hot spots, there is a good chance that your HVAC system isn’t as efficient in energy use as it could be. 


If you’re having trouble with a faulty AC and require expert assistance, call Lifetime’z Heating & Air Conditioning. We specialize in heating and air in Carrollton, TX.

Our company provides heating and cooling system repair, installation, and tune-up assistance. We also offer repairs and cleaning of ducts, ductless AC systems, brand-new construction services, and water heater repair in Carrollton, TX. Contact our helpful team at 972-846-9950 or drop us an email and make an appointment.

Get a Quote